1. Style
We've all seen the awful videos of a beautiful wedding cake suddenly falling to the ground. And thanks to the extraordinary talents of designers like Sylvia Weinstock, there is now a myth circulating that wedding cakes must be elaborately decorated things. For these reasons and more, many amateur bakers shy away from making wedding cakes, but it really is not as hard as it looks. While I wouldn't encourage a bride to add one more (big) thing to her long list of todos, it certainly can be accomplished by a close friend or family member. Here is a step-by-step guide to making a wedding cake, including simple and easy decorating techniques, and how to make it structurally sound so that it won't fall over.

Comments

August 6, 2007 at 8:44 pm
(1) Vivian says:

nice instructions. however, you never say what to do w/the cardboard circles… they are never mentioned in the directions. or did i miss something? please advise.

June 24, 2009 at 6:14 pm
(2) Katie says:

Cardboard is to put each individual layer on, which makes it easier to cut and serve it.

July 10, 2009 at 9:16 pm
(3) mary says:

how should you remove the layers for cutting and serving when not using the top layer. should you cut the middle layer while on the cake or remove and then cut to serve?

February 12, 2010 at 12:19 am
(4) sly says:

Thanks for great directions! I used your guide awhile back to make a cake for a friend’s wedding and it turned out great! Delicious and perfect for someone’s big day. Your step-by-step instructions made an intimidating project fun and manageable. I’m making a wedding cake for another friend’s wedding this weekend and although I will be using a different cake recipe, I’m back here for excellent directions on big cake construction. Thanks again!

July 19, 2010 at 4:47 pm
(5) Shelby says:

The instructions are good but decorating needs some work most definitely…

November 25, 2010 at 12:22 am
(6) Lola says:

The instructions are handy – but to be honest the finished product is a bit messy and not very refined, nonetheless the actual instructions are very helpful, cheers.

December 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm
(7) Ann says:

that is probably the worst looking wedding cake i’ve ever seen. i would be embarrassed to present that cake to someone!

May 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm
(8) Niko says:

Ann
Low self-esteem is a problem for you. Try to help others with your comments instead of trying to hurt them.

November 4, 2011 at 7:12 pm
(9) a1992380 says:

I’ve said that least 1992380 times. The problem this like that is they are just too compilcated for the average bird, if you know what I mean

January 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm
(10) Lillybeth says:

Thank you for the easy assembly instructions. Do plastic drinking straws REALLY support the cake? I mean, theyre weak and bendable??? I agree, beginners should not try to add detail and instead use flowers to decorate. However, I believe fondant would be a great way to help the cake look professional for beginners. Fondant is not as hard as it seems.

April 5, 2012 at 5:14 am
(11) Krafty Kakes says:

I like the helpful info you supply to your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and test once more right here frequently. I’m quite sure I’ll be told many new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the following!