1. Style

Do Men Really Want Engagement Rings Too?

By April 26, 2006

I got a press release today from a jewelry company claiming that the number of women proposing marriage is on the rise, and thus the demand for "male" engagement rings was rising as well. I tend to be a bit skeptical - for example, I see the jewelry industry's "right hand ring" campaign as having nothing to do with independent women and everything to do with getting women to spend more money on jewelry. So I meet this latest news with skepticism as well. Oh sure, I do believe that there are more women than ever proposing marriage - take singer Pink's proposal to Motocross racer Corey Hart. But do men really want an engagement ring? What do you think? Leave a comment, or sound-off in our forums!

Comments

April 26, 2006 at 2:43 pm
(1) Joan says:

I proposed to my husband and gave him a nice watch, which he still wears, and then we went together and bought me an engagement ring. I thought this was a good solution. He wouldn’t have worn an engagement ring.

April 27, 2006 at 12:42 pm
(2) Wedding Chicago Blog says:

Honestly, I think my husband would have loved to get an engagement ring. He loves his wedding band – it has more diamonds than mine.

I agree with you that this is just a ploy from the jewelry industry to encourage women to buy more jewelry. Pretty ingenius, I must say. Anything to make more money, I guess.

Alison

May 4, 2006 at 2:39 pm
(3) Jennifer says:

When we got engaged, Lord of the RIngs has just come out, so i bought my fiance a really nice replica of The Ring. He still wears it every day on his right hand. (His wedding ring is on his left.)

May 5, 2006 at 6:34 am
(4) Jesseca says:

Yes! My Boyfriend and i are both planning on having engagement rings, i think it is a wonderful idea, because it shows not only when they are married but it also can show when they are engaged also! I think it is exciting and we are having alot of fun going from store to store together looking for a ring, for eachother!

May 8, 2006 at 8:30 am
(5) Carla says:

I actually bought my husband an engagement ring. He had no idea that I had a ring for him, but when he proposed to me i just took out his ring and reversed the question on him and it was really cute on how it worked out, but I do not see a problem with a man wearing an engagement ring. Why should women be the only ones that have to wear a ring stating that they are taken?

July 21, 2006 at 8:56 am
(6) Emyr says:

Im a man and having been talking with my partner recently about an marriage. We have been talking about engagement rings for a few weeks when it suddenly occured to me that I would like one to. I don’t want my girlfriend to have to ‘show’ that she is loved and taken, when I don’t. I would feel such pride at wearing an engagement ring for her, and with her, to show the world we are equals.

July 26, 2006 at 10:25 pm
(7) Ashley says:

My fiance is in the military and the stigma that goes with those uniforms is the women hitting on him. For this among other reasons we chose to get him an engagement ring which he wears proudly. Even a few of his coworkers have followed our lead. I think it was a great idea because he get’s used to wearing a ring before the wedding.

December 16, 2006 at 1:20 pm
(8) Bekah says:

My honey is definitely getting a ring… I plan on giving it to him when he proposes! I’ve decided on a titanium one with celtic knotwork on it (I figure it fits his style and represents the “knot” we will eventually be tying between the two of us). I brought it up with him in passing, just to see his reaction and he seemed very receptive. I didn’t even realize when I thought of the idea that there was a trend int he jewelry industry of making these. I just figured that he should have some tangible symbol of our committment, just as I will.

January 5, 2007 at 8:11 pm
(9) Jamie says:

I must say, I love the idea of wearing an engagement ring. In fact, my girlfriend and I have been talking alot about marriage, and she asked me if I would wear an engagement ring instead of her…I was taken aback a bit, however, I adored the thought of her wanting me as much as I wanted her, and to show the world would be an honor….kudos to the men out there that do that! And, I am a former vetern and college football player, so, its not limited to feminine men….

May 3, 2007 at 12:29 pm
(10) Pat says:

OF COURSE! If this union is equal (as they all should be) then why not start with an equal engagement.

June 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm
(11) Lauren says:

i’d just like to say that i always thought it was a given thing for men to also where engagemnt rings until recently, i’s reassuring to know that other people think its as good idea as i do.

August 9, 2008 at 4:44 pm
(12) Her Fiance says:

No, no, no, no, no.

August 16, 2008 at 8:28 am
(13) Dee says:

My guy and I have been recently discussing this idea. I can tell he really wants an engagement ring and YES, I intend on placing one on his finger as soon as he proposes the question. I think its rather cute he wants to show the world he is spoken for.

I have searching for rings.

August 17, 2008 at 4:55 pm
(14) Thom W says:

My girlfriend just proposed to me and she didn’t give me a ring and I was very happy. I definitely don’t care about rings. What a waste of money that could be better spent on an awesome honeymoon!

August 20, 2008 at 6:31 pm
(15) Lindsey says:

My fiance is in the military and while he’s away from me it’s nice to know that there’s a ring on his finger saying he’s not available if I can’t be on his arm to say the same thing. (I got a tugnston ring that will NEVER scratch for only $50 on overstock.com, I highlly recommend it!)

August 21, 2008 at 1:23 pm
(16) L says:

I think it’s a great idea, especially for a long engagement. We wear a ring on our finger showing we’re “spoken for”, why shouldn’t men?

October 21, 2008 at 4:09 pm
(17) chelsea says:

can someone give me good deal of engagement ring n wedding ring for him ? so is it meant that he will 2 ring as well like us ? many thanks

November 17, 2008 at 7:59 pm
(18) Miss says:

Actually, I’m in the process of shopping for an engagement ring for my boyfriend right now! At first, I was going to buy him his future wedding band, but then I changed my mind. As many of the other commenters said, it’s a tangible symbol of our committment to one and other. I plan on buying him an 18k white gold engagement ring and eventually a similar platinum wedding band to replace it.

February 16, 2009 at 9:41 pm
(19) JB says:

My father had an engagement ring. Not only that, but it is yellow gold with a giant diamond pavee front. I didn’t even know it was a question: why should men not have a ring? What’s good for the goose is good for the gander…

September 20, 2009 at 6:44 pm
(20) Anna says:

My BF actually brought it up himself. We’ve gone out and looked at engagement rings for me (though he hasn’t officially proposed yet). Last night he said it was unfair that only the women wear rings, men should have something that shows off that they’re taken too! I told him that we could go out and find him a ring too and he seemed excited about that. I guess it just depends on the guy :)

October 1, 2009 at 11:04 pm
(21) stephanie says:

my fiance is in the military and he was worried that he would get made fun of but i explained that its about equality and he understood. Once that was out of the way he was very excited to get his ring! it was a daily question, did u get it yet? so i think this generation is more receptive to the idea.

October 3, 2009 at 8:57 pm
(22) Carrie says:

I feel that the male engagement ring is a progressive step for women in our culture. If both the female and male wear the ring it symbolizes each party’s dedication to the other, rather than the tradition of the female who has been “claimed” by the male while the male goes around “freely” for months or even years. I like the idea of co-engagement rings!

November 10, 2009 at 6:50 pm
(23) Tara says:

well….my bf say he dont think men wear the ring, but he from the countryside….and the town are in the old ways. so i have just send him a txt saying men can wear it ring…duno what he’ll say….but i have a funny idea….he want to propose to me….(wish me luck, that he dose) :)

I dont understand whats the deal with the ring. guess people will think we are married already.

but i believe that both party should wear the ring as equalship. Inatead of showing the women been “taken” and the man can wear a ringless finger untill he’s married. to me thats give the man more power. Thats put me off kind off…but if the man understand where your comming from , im sure he’ll give in, and even prode to wear it….or maybe he has some other idea….or think he toooooo manly to wear it…

November 12, 2009 at 3:35 pm
(24) Jess says:

I proposed to my sweetie and he’s gotten a lot of compliments on his ring (black titanium band with a small diamond accent). We’re in a small southern US city, so older people especially were a little surprised at first but have quickly become accepting and supportive. The only problem is that he’s constantly getting asked when he’s getting me my ring. I’m debating between caving and wearing a small token until we put on our wedding rings and holding firm on my original plan – a down payment on a house instead of a rock. It’s kind of a family tradition.

November 12, 2009 at 3:36 pm
(25) Jess says:

December 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm
(26) Sarah Lachey says:

My then-fiance and I bought matching rings when we got engaged. it was a diamond engagement ring set in platinum. We couldn’t afford a fancier pair so we went shopping online. Luckily, we found the ring just to our liking- and budget- a james allen ring with 5 small diamonds on each side and a center stone. I couldn’t be more happy seeing him wear that ring like a badge of honor.

January 5, 2010 at 1:12 am
(27) jeff says:

I think that the idea is great. being in a relationship is a great and fulfilling thing, and speaking from a mans point of view having the image that WE are spoken for is just as important

September 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm
(28) Jada says:

A lot of women think it’s really sincere for a man to wear an engagement ring. The real question is, does your man really want to wear one? It would be really sad if your man would wear it just to make you happy…just because you made all that effort to buy it. Of course they would do that because they love us. But deep inside maybe he’d rather wear a watch or something else. Let’s face it, jewelries are not really a guy thing. My boyfriend for example, really doesn’t like the traditional wedding rings. He’d rather get a watch or a necklace. How did I find out without asking him? By hearing him comment about it on other people and when we go to the mall and look at jewelries. He goes straight to the watches and silver necklaces.

But of course there are men who genuinely do want one. This is true for traditional males.

The best thing to do is to get to know your man more. Get to know what he likes. If you don’t want to ask him directly, get some clues. For couples who are very close to each other and can easily openly talk about these kind of things, it would be very easy.

Engagement ring or not, there are a lot of other options. Just pick out something that binds the two of you together, as a constant reminder of each other. It really helps especially when you’re apart.

June 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm
(29) f says:

It never occurred to me that my fiancee (female) would wear an engagement ring and I (male) wouldn’t. As much as we can, I want us to be equal partners in our relationship, and if she has a ring, so should I. Fortunately, neither of us has expensive tastes in rings, and we got silver ones with Celtic designs on them–I bought hers; she bought mine. I’m left-handed, and she’s fine with me wearing it on my right hand. Neither one of us is especially traditionally-minded when it comes to these things, and neither one of us though we’d find someone, so we’re kind of making things up as we go along.

July 27, 2011 at 1:45 pm
(30) Angelo says:

I think that it’s a great idea. I never thought as a woman’s engagement ring as a “don’t talk to me, I’m spoken for” king of sentiment. I believe it is something to be proud of. As men we should be able to display our devotion, committment and love for our future wife by wearing a ring as well. Budget, style and what not are all of personal concern. That being said, guys, who cares what people might think or say? If you and your loved one can agree on it then go for it. I for one intend on talking to my future fiancee about it as well.

March 25, 2012 at 12:20 pm
(31) kim says:

well he wanted to wear an engagement ring up until about amonth ago. Now not only does he not want to wear it but he rarely cuddles or holds me.