1. Style
If you've got the best man duties this weekend, I bet you've procrastinated a little on your biggest job - giving the wedding toast. But there are ways to make the job of writing a best man speech easier. Here is my step-by-step guide on writing a wedding toast. It shows you how to incorporate your memories of the bride and groom with a little humor into an entertaining yet poignant speech. I like it when speeches end with a classic toast, so you might want to consult the directory of classic wedding toast samples. I've also got an article on Dos and Don'ts of Writing a Best Man Speech, which has an example speech at the bottom to get you started.

Comments

October 19, 2006 at 10:49 pm
(1) Elle Brown says:

Nina, I love all your tips and really there is no excuse for getting it wrong with so much advice online.

Then again this video
always makes me laugh – I guess when you get nervous you’ve had it!

I remember reading somewhere that the best thing to do was to imagine the room is full of naked people. Not sure if it works – but there could be some truth in it!

Love

Elle

October 23, 2006 at 8:34 am
(2) Nina says:

Thanks Elle!

Many people haven’t had to do public speaking since high school, especially in such an important setting, so I understand why it makes them so nervous.

Personally, I would think a room full of naked people would be more distracting than relaxing, but perhaps that’s just me!

March 21, 2007 at 5:01 pm
(3) barry says:

From my own experience when I was asked to be a best man, I thought yes what an honour but then, oh no, the speech. Luckily I could write poetry, so I wrote a poem and also luckily I hit the jackpot, it went down a storm, it was perfect and I had accolades all night from lots of guests and photographers. So I created my own website to help other guys and it has been very successful and I am so lucky to have had so much superb feedback from guys who were clearly quite nervous.

The beauty of a personalised poem is the fact it is personal, you can read it, and given time to practice, it can be delivered in a meaningful way and last but not least, you don’t have to let on it wasn’t you who wrote it!! But the real beauty is it is a comfort to the best man in case of emergencies; panic attack, too much to drink, etc. So if anybody wants help, I would be delighted to help out, just check out my website TheBestManSpeech.co.uk (http://www.thebestmanspeech.co.uk)

October 26, 2010 at 10:40 am
(4) Dave Dexter says:

Hi Nina,

Super stuff as usual if I was to add anything it would be that guests really appreciate best men who spend time praising the bride, groom and their parents. While humor is important, it is a nice touch to be complimentary also.

regards
Dave

November 24, 2010 at 2:09 am
(5) Allen says:

It is a complete texture of humor and sincerity. Enjoyed to read.

January 25, 2013 at 7:11 pm
(6) santi san gabriel says:

thanks for the guidelines. . it helps me a lot and somehow lessen my nervous :) cheers!!!