1. Style

Reader Question: Appropriate Wedding Gift for a Vow Renewal?

By January 10, 2008

Jim writes: Our friends are renewing their vows (25 years) and the reception is going to be a fun party with karaoke. What is etiquette for a gift? Would a "group" gift be appropriate? We are all a little confused to what to do. Technically, gifts are not required for vow renewals. They aren't weddings, and the couple isn't setting up a new household. However, especially for a momentous occasion like a 25-year anniversary, giving a present is a thoughtful gesture. I'd put the emphasis on sentiment rather than monetary value. You might give a memory book or photo album, and pre-seed them with pictures of them you've taken, or special memories of them as a couple. Another thoughtful present would be a double picture frame, where they can put a photo of their original wedding day next to one of their vow renewal. For a group gift, consider sending them away for a romantic weekend, or another gift that allows them to spend quality time together. Do you have good ideas for vow renewal gifts? Share them by clicking the blue "comment" link below.

Comments

January 10, 2008 at 2:17 pm
(1) Joann says:

Just recently went to a 30th anniversary party. Great gifts are gift certificates to a nice restaurant. group gift to a get away, spa gift certificates, good bottles of wine ,champagne. Some people gave a night out at a future date with them theater tickets etc. I don’t think that engravables and silver trays, picture frames are good they probably have too much junk already. If you have a great sentimental picture of them that you frame that’s acceptable.

January 10, 2008 at 7:15 pm
(2) cathryn says:

not all vow renewals are created equal!!! as the mother of two active duty soldiers, i was shocked when my daughter eloped this past summer, with another active duty soldier. my older son is currently deployed, and now, my son in law is being deployed shortly.

my young couple was waiting for her brother to return home, before they had their big wedding. now, by the time he’s home, and my son in law returns, it’ll be sometime right around their 2nd anniversary.

a situation like this is vastly different than that of an older couple who are renewing their vows.

June 18, 2009 at 3:37 pm
(3) mary says:

My husband and I just renewed our wedding vows on our 10th anniversary. I’d like to send a couple of pictures with a card announcing this to our friends and family. We are not looking for gifts — just want to share the pictures. When we originally got married, we didn’t tell anyone and got married in Vegas — we didn’t tell anyone this time around either since our niece was getting married soon thereafter and we didn’t want to “steal her thunder” or “rain on her parade.” Any suggestions? Thank you.

August 13, 2009 at 1:03 pm
(4) Kathy says:

Hi Mary,
Congrats! I’d have to say make or purchase a heavy paper frame that can sit on a desk or hang that has the announcement on it. It won’t steal thunder and the almost wed may ask for advice. You can send these in an envelope that is card size depending on how big they are. Good Luck!

August 13, 2009 at 1:06 pm
(5) Kathy says:

My husband and I are re-newing our vows in 2010 on a cruise. We have been married 12 years this August but, have never had a wedding or reception. Some of my friends and family are saying to treat this as our first wedding b/c that’s what it is. However, after this amount of time, we have suggested that since some cruises offer gift certificates, they can do that. It helps us out, gives us time for just us, and it ranges from $20.00 on up. Even as a group, it would be a good gift!

June 4, 2010 at 10:09 am
(6) Brittany says:

How about an advice book?? Take a photo album and let guests fill in a 3×5 of happy marriage advice then take a picture with the couple and insert next to the advice. very cheap but meaningful.

April 26, 2011 at 9:34 am
(7) Jessica says:

I have a coworker who is renewing her vows for a second time. She is having a full on wedding/reception. What is an appropriate gift? If monetary, how much?