1. Style

Carrie's Poem from Sex and the City - a Wedding Reading

By March 25, 2011

I confess that a bout of insomnia had me watching an old episode of Sex and City last night. A shameful juicy indulgence, I know, but it turned out to be lucky. In that episode, Carrie writes a poem for her friend's wedding that turns out to be really beautiful -- so beautiful that I rewound the DVR and wrote it down:

Carrie's Poem - A Wedding Reading

His hello was the end of her endings
Her laugh was their first step down the aisle
His hand would be hers to hold forever
His forever was as simple as her smile

He said she was what was missing
She said instantly she knew
She was a question to be answered
And his answer was "I do"

Does the knowledge that it comes from a TV show about being single change the romance of the poem? I'm adding it to my Unique Wedding Readings, but I wonder if guests would want to know the origin. If you used this poem, would you include in the program that it was from Sex and the City?

Comments

May 16, 2011 at 1:17 pm
(1) J says:

you forgot the first line! i think it was his hello was the end of her endings?

September 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm
(2) T says:

Sex and the city is not about being single… it is its main content yes… but sex and the city is about a single girl moving to the city to find love and shopping. If the show was about being single the movies never would have been made and the ppl in it would never have ever been in relationships and married etc etc … Its the quest for love with strong adult content.

September 26, 2011 at 2:49 pm
(3) weddings says:

Thanks J! I corrected that.

And T – you are right about the search for love part, and it is a beautiful poem.

June 17, 2012 at 11:04 pm
(4) Lindsey says:

I had my teenage daughter read this at my wedding last weekend. It was perfect for several reasons:
1. My new husband actually bought me the entire dvd series of the show as a present for our first Christmas right after we started dating,
2. This was my FAVORITE show
3. The poem is beautiful.

It was great for a teenage girl to read too, because it wasn’t too complex or containing emotions that a teenager wouldn’t understand. I was super happy with it! But I did not have wedding programs, so not everyone would have known the reference, just the fellow SATC obsessed people.

June 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm
(5) Tara says:

I am getting married in NYC and am a big SATC fan (as are most of my female guests) so think this would be perfect! Which season/episode is this from? I am thinking of naming it on the programme as Carrie’s poem – SATC, season ___, episode___

April 11, 2013 at 6:13 am
(6) Bec says:

We chose this poem and the song ‘Grow Old With You’ from The Wedding Singer as the two readings for our wedding. Everyone loved it. Does it matter where a reading is from? If it means something to the bride and groom then it is irrelevant where it comes from.