Finding clothes can be a frustrating experience for any full-figured woman, so it's understanding that the idea of shopping for a plus-size wedding dress is a daunting one. But here are five easy tips to make sure you find the perfect plus-size wedding dress for you.
- Know your shape. You'll want to find a dress that is best for your figure. An a-line shape is flattering to most curvier figures, as it can skim over hips. A v-neckline on a busty woman can add a beautiful contrasting line. Avoid full ballgown skirts as they can add to an overall roundness. I would also avoid tea-length gowns, as they tend to make women look shorter and ankle-heavy.
- Know where to shop There are starting to be a few salons specializing in the plus-sized bride, like the Phoenix, AZ store Strut. If you don't have one of those near you, start out at one of the larger retail chains like David's Bridal. They are more likely to have dresses you can try on, rather than trying to imagine how the size eight sample will look on your body. You can also look at department stores, and at designers who specialize in plus-size wedding dresses such as Emme Bridal, Alfred Angelo, Bonny, Mon Cheri, or Allure Bridals. Look at websites such as plussizebridal.com for more ideas.
- Be comfortable The most beautiful dress won't look so beautiful if you are stressed, or tugging on it. Make sure you can move, talk, and dance in your dress with ease. Consider getting the next size up just to make sure the dress fits you well.
- Get it tailored No matter what size you are, look your best on your wedding day by getting your wedding dress altered to fit you personally. Subtle differences in how a garment fits you can make worlds of difference.
- Don't be afraid to break the rules In the end, it's your wedding dress. You need to love it, regardless of what the roles are. Furthermore, most advice on plus-size wedding dresses focuses on disguising your figure, but a curvaceous body is something to celebrate, not hide. When a wedding dress sings to you, then that's the one to buy, regardless of the rules.