New Twists on Traditional Valentine's Day Gift Ideas
- Skip the Valentine's Day Aisle
The marketing folks at the mall have decided to emblazon everything from boxer shorts to stuffed animals with red hearts, but that doesn't mean they make great Valentine's Day gifts. The thoughtful present is the one that counts. Take the time to listen to clues for what she or he really wants. This might be a book that they mentioned looks interesting, or if they're a collector, something new for their collectibles shelf. Most guys would far rather have a pair of tickets to their favorite sports team than a bunch of flowers, and many girls would rather have those tickets than an impersonal heart-shaped box of chocolates.
- Amazingly Delicious and Unique Chocolates
For some, it just wouldn't be Valentine's Day without that box of chocolates. This year, don't just pick up a cheap box from the drug store, get something really special. My favorite chocolatier, Jacques Torres, now has his famous chocolates for sale online at www.mrchocolate.com. Along with traditional favorites, his unusual flavors include Earl Grey Tea, Love Potion #9, Port Wine, and Wicked Fun – a spicy dark chocolate ganache with chili pepper and cinnamon. Make sure you include a card with a long paragraph about how much your Valentine means to you.
For those who like savories as much as they like chocolate, try the Vosges Bacon Bar, which combines applewood smoked bacon with deep milk chocolate. Since just one candy bar might feel too small for a Valentine's Day gift, add in a couple of artisinal and rare bacons from Zingerman's to make a bacon gift pack.
- Make Jewelry Special
One of the most traditional Valentine's gifts can be made special with a little time -- personalize your gift with engraving. Include that secret pet name, or an inside joke that makes you smile. The thought will be romantic and sweet. Check out these wedding ring engravings for ideas.
- Comfy AND Sexy Lingerie
Guys, don't go the stiletto heels and crotchless panties route unless she wears that sort of thing frequently already. Make sure that valentine's lingerie is as much for her as it is for you. I love this Honeydew chemise which is sexy but also a comfortable cotton. For a slightly sexier look, try this lacy bra and boy short set. Girls, be daring. Surprise him by picking him up from work in a long coat with nothing but a new teddy on underneath! Now that's lingerie both of you can enjoy.
- Dress up the bedroom If giving lingerie for Valentine's Day is too predictable for you, take it a step further by dressing up the bedroom. Buy a new set of luxurious sheets 600-thread count Egyptian cotton. Set a bouquet of flowers next to the bed, and decorate with candles and rose petals. You'll enjoy the ambiance on February 14th, but you'll also get to enjoy those sheets for a long time to come.
- Time with Friends This is a great one for couples that are friendly with other couples. You and your pals can join together to each give her and her pals plane tickets for a "girl's weekend", or him and his friends tickets for a "boys weekend". She or he will love that you were so thoughtful and will know that you planned ahead.
- Time with Each Other Most couples get so busy, especially during wedding planning, that they hardly have any time to spend together. Plan activities for the future that will be romantic time together. The present could be tickets to a new play, a picnic basket with a note about using it during the upcoming summer, or a spa gift certificate for couples treatments. She or he will enjoy knowing that you are thinking about your future together.
More Valentine's Day Ideas
Wedding Related Valentine's Gift Ideas
Plan a Romantic Valentine's Day at Home
5 Ways Celebrating Valentine's Day Can Help With Wedding Planning
Creative Valentine's Day Proposal Ideas
Personalize Your Valentine's Day Gift Online
Planning a Valentine's Day Themed Wedding