1. Style
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Help! I Bought My Honeymoon Airline Tickets in the Wrong Name!

Advice on Solving Confusion Over Married Versus Maiden Name on Airline Tickets


Wedding Emergency: The Wrong Name

Question: I bought my honeymoon plane tickets in my married name, not thinking that I wouldn't have the name change completed in time! HELP what can I do?

Answer: Much of this depends on what jurisdiction you live in, and whether you are traveling internationally. Most airlines will let you travel with your drivers license in a maiden name, and a marriage certificate. (Check with your airline to be sure, and get it in writing.) However, in some jurisdictions, you cannot get your license immediately following your ceremony.

For international travel, it's worth finding out how quickly a new passport can be issued. Although it is possible to travel with a passport and a marriage certificate, it is far from guaranteed.

But the likelihood in both cases is that you will need to convince your airline to change your name. With non-refundable tickets, you'll need to sweet talk a manger into making the change for you. It can be done, although they may give you a very hard time. The worst case scenario is that you will have to buy new tickets.

If all else fails, try contacting the Transportation Security Administration.

If you are encountering problems obtaining a boarding pass, please contact the TSA Contact Center.

Phone: 1-866-289-9673 toll-free
E-mail: TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov

For questions or concerns about Travel Tips, Permitted and Prohibited Items, and information on filing a claim for lost, stolen or damaged items, please call the TSA Contact Center.

Phone: 1-866-289-9673 toll-free
E-mail: TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.