Cheesy Group Dance NumbersSure, DJs love these songs. They're great for entertaining kids, and they get people on the dance floor. But there's absolutely nothing elegant, sophisticated, or hip about them. And they might just send your friends off the dance floor permanently:
- Chicken Dance
- Hokey Pokey
- Cha Cha Slide
- Limbo Rock
Strange Break-up Songs and Other Mood KillersA beautiful bride and groom take the floor for their first dance. As you hear the music start, you ready your tissues for the romantic sight you're about to see. But hold on just a second. What's that they're playing? This song is all about a breakup! There's nothing romantic in dancing at your wedding to a song about breaking up!
- Every Breath You Take – Police (Unless you're marrying your creepy stalker, this is not a romantic song!)
- I will Always Love You – Dolly Parton/ Whitney Houston (It's about a break up. Please, no talk of "bittersweet memories" at your wedding.)
- Lips of an Angel – Hinder (The angel's great lips are enough to make him think about cheating on his girlfriend).
- My Heart Will Go On – Celine Dion (She's singing the song to her dead boyfriend. Dead and weddings don't mix that well.)
- Tears in Heaven – Eric Clapton (Yet another death song I've heard at too many weddings. I know there's the life insurance policy, but it's a little too early to be talking about death, don't you think?)
- I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor. (Not only have I heard this at a million weddings, but I've also seen it on lists of "popular wedding songs!" People, it's a song about surviving a horrible breakup! Don't play this at your wedding.)
- Jesse's Girl – Rick Springfield (Go ahead. Fuel rumors that the bride is sleeping/has slept/will sleep with the Best Man.)
- White Wedding – Billy Idol (Idol himself says that the song is about hating his sister's fiancé.)
- Love Stinks, You Gave Love A Bad Name, Tainted Love (all self explanatory).
Just Plain BadI'm sure after I write this list, I'm going to get tons of emails saying "How could you say XYZ was bad??? I love that song!" That's fine that you love it, I don't. So it's on my "do not play list." Hopefully this list will spark some ideas for you about hated songs.
- Celebration – Kool and the Gang
- Honky Tonk Badonkadonk – Trace Adkins
- Who Let the Dogs Out – Baha Men
- Everybody (Have Fun Tonight) – Wang Chung
- Tequila – The Champs
- Cuts Like a Knife – Bryan Adams
- Dude Looks Like a Lady - Aerosmith
- My Humps – Black Eyed Peas
Do you have songs on your Do Not Play list not mentioned above? To add to this list, leave your suggestions in a comment here.
Bad music isn't just limited to wedding receptions. Do you know The 3 Wedding Ceremony Songs to Avoid?